Education & Qualifications
- BSc(Hons) Biochemistry 2.i (Aberystwyth University).
- A Levels in Chemistry, Biology and Information Technology at C grade (St. Edmunds Catholic School, Wolverhampton).
- 8 GCSEs and GNVQ grade B or above including Double Award Science, Maths, and English.
- Using Git from the command line to manage branches for testing of new features and bug fixes.
- Experience of blogging platforms and CMSs (including WordPress, Posterous, and a proprietary CMS/eCommerce system).
- Experience of Windows, OS X and a number of Linux variants. Fully competent in all Microsoft Office and Open Office applications.
- Considerable lab experience (including PCR, electrophoresis, TA Cloning, SDS-PAGE, Miniprep, plating out and cultivating bacteria).
Digital Support Assistant
Vanilla Storm Digital Ltd from October 2013 to present.
Vanilla Storm Digital Ltd is a web design and development company in Manchester.
- Client support including email and phone support.
- Investigating reported issues and filing bug reports.
- Liaising with developers to investigate bugs or get quotes for new work for clients.
- Writing instruction documentation for clients and providing training.
- Testing fixes and new features before going live.
- Liaising with QA to ensure correct testing.
- Putting fixes and new features live using Git.
- Writing documentation for new fixes and features.
Lloyds Pharmacy from August 2010 to September 2013.
Lloyd Pharmacy is the largest community pharmacy in the UK.
- Serving and advising customers.
- Managing and training staff to ensure tasks are completed and targets are met.
- Dispensing medicines.
- Stock taking, ordering and accepting deliveries so that computer records reflect physical stock levels. Maintaining stock levels based on usage patterns.
- Ordering and preparing medication for nursing home residents on a regular basis.
Dialog Devices Ltd from July 2008 to August 2009
Dialog Devices Ltd is a medical devices company based in Loughborough.
- Custom built an MS Access database for clinical data and produced training materials for users of the database.
- Trained hospital staff to use a new product.
- Carried out preliminary safety testing of the product, submitting a report as part of the clinical trial paperwork submitted to the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA).
- Helped organise company stalls at conferences, including ordering graphics, business cards, handouts and setting up stalls.
- Representing company at conferences, including demonstrating the product.
- General admin duties including minuting meetings, organising business trips (booking hotels, hiring cars).
- Helped set up and maintain a professional filing system.
Manchester Girl Geeks is a not-for-profit group which organises networking events, talks and hands-on workshops for women and girls with an interest in STEM.
- Attend meetings, help arrange schedules for upcoming events
- Organise events, liaising with venues, speakers, and demonstrators.
- Advertise events on social media and through networking.
I have recently started editing and making Wikipedia pages after a girl geek organised edit-a-thon. I am a member of the women scientists WikiProject, and will be arranging another edit-a-thon later in the year.
I also enjoy knitting, reading, and watching films.
References available upon request